Sunday, July 18, 2010

No Sew Projects


I had a goal for the summer... hold onto your seat.... I am having success. I have so, so, so, so many pictures that I haven't scrapbooked piling up. It is so bad that I labeled birthday parties for the wrong year. When Gigi saw the scrapped page she had to correct me.


I scrap for my kids. They love to look at the books. After each girl was born I suffered from postpartum depression. I hardly remember the first year of their lives. Nowhere is it documented about their first word, or their first step, or... anything. We survived. So, the scrapbooks are a gift from me to them. When they have their own babies I want them to be able to look back and remember and to know that I love them.


I enjoy scrapbooking... I like any type of craft really (except cross stitch, which involves a level of patience that is far beyond my own)... but my creative self lives to sew. I am constantly thinking of ways I can alter the girls' clothing or what I can try to make next. This summer I put aside my sewing machine and decided to tackle the monkey on my back, the pile of pics that taunt me, and reminds me that my To Do list has something on it that is 3-4 years old.


I wondered if the scrapbook would be my creative outlet for the season and guess what... I have enjoyed every picture. Along the way this summer I have learned that it is a project that is much more fun with a friend. My delightful friend Karen has also decided to play catch-up with her scrapbooks. It is so refreshing to meet once a week to scrap and share stories. I also learned from Karen that journaling is the way to go.
I can see the evolution of my scrapbooking style. I am a "more is more" type of girl. If the page doesn't weigh 5 lbs then it isn't finished. Now I leave some space to tell the story.


Here is Greta's preschool story. My scanner won't fit a 12x12 page but you can get the idea.

P.S. I love pictures of Greta with her short hair.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love this post....you have me in tears...so glad it is bed time.
love your scrapbooking story.
When am I going to be invited??

Kim said...

P.S. This is how I remember Greta when you moved here. Love the short hair!