Thursday, July 15, 2010

Looking Ahead

No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing; Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.
Philippians 3:13 NLT


I frequently fail at my attempts to continue to show Christ like behavior to my kids. A week can easily go by without doing much but dinner prayers. Then the guilt sets in. During prayer time and communion last Sunday I was given an epiphany... stop trying to do it all on my own!



I had been trying and failing at having a planned family bible time during the middle of the week. It was supposed to be a simple reminder of where our heart and eyes should be set. I couldn't remember to research a topic, find the bible verses or articles, and present it to my family.



I am sharing the responsibility... letting go of some control. Now each family member is the pastor a Wednesday out of the month. That person's job is to plan the meal and prepare the "sermon." Everyone seems to love the idea and I get to order out on my Wednesday. ;)



Pastor Greta presented the sermon this Wednesday. The verse at the begining of the post was her chosen verse. We enjoyed a dinner of grilled cheese sandwiches, mac-n-cheese, and strawberries. Dessert was cupcakes in ice cream cones. Greta was excited to not only pick the meal but to also cook with me. She searched through her Christian magazines, with Gene's help, and picked out a topic. Reading her verse was empowering for her and also helped her learn how to navigate her Bible. It was a great evening. Next week is Gene's turn.

2 comments:

Miss Effie said...

Sherry .... what a wonderful idea.
Ya're brilliant, girlfriend!

Becky said...

Wow! What a great post! We have to work hard each week to have our Family Home Evenings. It is so wonderful to watch the girls searching the scriptures!
Hope you guys aren't melting! I am thinking we need to hit the pool a little more for sure!!!