Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cooking More


We have been really paying attention to what we are eating. It started during the deployment. I was saving our pennies to pay off my car loan and going out to eat was costing too much. Now, we are trying to eat healthier. Gene and I aren't getting any younger and the girls need their veggies.


It is so easy to go out to eat so I have to really plan well. Every Sunday we get together, all four of us, and plan out our meals for the week. I keep a list of favorites to refer to when we draw a blank on what to cook. Then we go grocery shopping for the week.


Despite the planning I still come up with excuses and more excuses. My favorite one is that I don't have time to chop up everything to make a healthy meal. Not anymore. Thanks to the food processor and Sam's Club, I always have vegetables on hand and ready to go. Tonight I processed carrots, celery, and red, yellow, and orange peppers. Each snack bag holds one cup. Now my freezer is stocked and I am ready to cook.
What do you do to plan for the week?

1 comments:

My Army Life said...

Awesome! I'm so impressed. My hubby and I just had a discussion this week that we should NOT take our normal bi-weekly trip to the grocery store and just live off what is in our freezer and pantry right now. With the exception of some staples like milk and eggs, we're trying it! It was interesting to dig through and create a meal tonight from what we had but ended up with yummy 'hamburger' stew and cheese toast! Thanks for sharing your ideas on here. I'm taking note! =)