Thursday, June 24, 2010

Little League - The End of the Season






I threw my baby to the wolves this softball season. Okay, I may be a bit dramatic but that is what it felt like at times. Little League is a whole other world from Dad's Club. There is a lot expected from the players and they are pushed beyond their experiences. Sometimes it felt like a fine line between "making or breaking."


The beginning of the season was rough. Gigi went from being a big fish in a little pond to being a teeny tiny fish in an ocean. This ocean was filled with fish who knew their stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the girls on her team slept with their ball gloves under their pillow. Gigi would sleep with her DS under her pillow if we let her.



Gigi walked away from the season with an understanding of softball that she never had before. However, there are so many simple parts of the game that still elude her. She still isn't sure how the different positions are played. She has the general idea but not enough knowledge to keep from getting yelled at by the coach if she makes an error from ignorance. When situations like that occurred I had to do my best to keep the mama bear under control. I felt embarrassed and hurt for her- probably far more than she did.


Having fun and feeling good about yourself is the key to success. Gigi has the affliction of being the first born and is a whiz at school. So, when she isn't the best of the best she wants to quit. Not this season. She didn't even mutter the words. Way to stick with it G! Her hard work paid off. By the end of the season she was consistently hitting the ball, stealing bases, and living the life.



Parents, be prepared... Little League is more like grown up sports. It isn't for the faint of heart - and I am just talking about my feelings as a parent. In the span of a couple of hours your heart can be broken and then burst with pride over and over. I am looking forward to next year - I must love the abuse.

0 comments: