Sunday, November 22, 2009

Glitter + Pine Cones = Christmas Decorations

I have never met a pine cone I didn't like. If they have glitter on them... even better! In fact, I use them for decorations in my house all year long. There are vintage canning jars filled with them lining the top of my kitchen cabinets.

Somehow, I have convinced my family to let me decorate the family room for Christmas in a natural theme. That means - PINE CONES!

My wonderful husband has even been taking walks with me at the parks and on the trails to help build our collection. Today was declared: Pine Cone Glittering Day!



Here are the supplies.



We had an assembly line of plates with glue and glitter.


The whole family got involved and helped roll the pine cones in glitter.
During the walks in the park we also collected other stuff like birch bark. I attempted to cover a styrofoam ball with birch but it didn't work out. My husband compared it to a child's sucker that was dropped during a hike in the woods. For some reason, I couldn't get the birch bark to stick to the ball. Hmmmm... it seemed easy in theory.


Now we just have to wait for them to dry. I don't know what I will do with them yet but I have a few ideas...
hanging on the tree,
tied to vintage red velvet ribbon as garland,
or displayed in an apothecary jar.
The next batch will be gold.

0 comments: