Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Poppy Cat Sews, the craft show, and turning 40


Fabric cut and waiting to be turned into a "The Kam" tote bag. 

As I was heading into my studio today to sew... in my pajamas, hair not brushed, and barefoot, it dawned on me that I should be documenting this part of my life.  I recently turned 40 years old and I have been doing some reflecting on my life as it stands at this moment.

It can get lonely but I have my best employee with me every day.
 

I am were I want to be.

How often does that happen in someones life?  I always wanted to be an artist, have a career, and have a cozy family that is happy.  So I am thinking about my accomplishments - I have a masters degree in Social Work.  I worked successfully in the field but when I had babies I knew I wanted to be a stay at home mom.  I had seen how cruel people can be and I wanted to protect my children and give them the best start that I knew how.

My Mom worked on the family farm but somehow managed to be standing behind the kitchen counter when I walked in the door from school.  She did her best to provide a loving environment and to let us know we were important in her life.  I want to give that gift to my girls and I feel like I am successful.  I admit, there are moments when I am the dreaded Helicopter Mom but that's okay.  At least I recognize it and back off.


My painting desk is a disaster.  Sewing supplies are spilling over.
 

I put off my dream of being an artist until now for many reasons.  Initially I was focused on my career, then I was focused on my little ones, and the dedication of being a military wife takes a lot of my energy.  I realized this year that I am ready to start my dream.  It is a delicate balance between caring for my family, holding back my fear of failure, and deciding how I define my success. 


A stack of tote bag handles cut out and waiting to be ironed.
An hour of ironing and they are ready to be sewn.

I think this morning was a success... in my pajamas with kids safely at school, a spouse on his way to work, and me ironing countless tote bag straps.  A few months ago I started an on-line store, Poppy Cat Sews.  It is a work in progress.  Last week I entered a few paintings in an art show, and I am currently preparing for my first craft show.  Being 40 years old is feeling good.

0 comments: