Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fort Leonard Wood Art Show and Bravery

 I did something that took a lot of bravery on my part. I entered four paintings into a small local art show.  I love to design, sew, draw, and paint.  Up until now, I have kept it to myself or only shared with close friends.  Art is so personal.  A big thank you goes to Gene who always encourages me to follow my dream.  I was so unsure about entering the art show that he was the one who delivered the paintings.  I'm still working on the bravery thing.

I grew up learning how to draw and paint things exactly as they appear.  As I have gotten older I have realized that things are seldom as they seem so I wanted to start adapting my art to "real life."  I have embraced mixed media painting.  It give me a sense of freedom.  So many things are layered into the piece... scraps of paper, material, paint, modeling paste, and little trinkets that I find or are given to me.

My inspiration usually comes from a Bible verse or a little something that I noticed one day that had meaning to me.  I have a little sketch book that I do quick sketch of an idea and when I have time to paint, I go back to the sketch book and find what's inspiring.

First Place - Mixed Media  "Let your gentleness be evident to all."

Third Place - Mixed Media - "Greta" (she gave me the little green jewel and asked me to make her a painting with it.)

Water color - "Snowbird"
Mixed Media  - "To Ensure our Protection"  (There is a picture of my husband taking command and a picture of his father in Vietnam embedded in the painting)


 
Here are a few of my favorite pieces at the art show.

Can you feel the emotion?  We all have days like this.

This guy wasn't entered in the show.  It was a featured painting by a local artist.  I love the colors.

I don't know the name of this one but it has a religious feel to me... truly God's country.

Color!

There was also an ice sculptor.  The girls loved watching him work.

0 comments: