Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mini Tote, Hobo Bag, and Ruffle Purse

There are three new bags hitting the market at Ms. Effie's Summer Kitchen just in time for Christmas!



This mini-tote is a smaller version of the big market tote.  It is adorable and the perfect size for a wallet, cosmetic bag, book, and whatever the kids or husband want to sneak in there.






I must say that this is my favorite new purse.  It was inspired by several bags I saw on-line.  So, I found a basic pattern on-line at www.jcarolinecreative.comcreated as a starting point, made changes and additions, tweaked it as I went along, and viola.  It was fun to make because I love to mix and match fabrics.  There will be more of these coming along and one for me in one of the new fabrics I posted earlier.









This was another purse that was modeled after another bag  ( I would love to provide a link but I can't remember it - my apologies) but like the previous hogo bag, I made it my own as I went along.  Being free in the patterns and creating as I sew is my favorite way.  I know it would drive some folks crazy.  It is like cooking without a recipe.

However, this pretty purse was a bit challenging.  I thought it would be a great idea to add a ruffle on the outside, a divider in the middle as well as a pocket, and then have a pleated lining.  It was one of those projects where I had to walk away a  few times and regroup but it was worth all the effort.



Gene thinks it is cool that I try to be waste free and use every scrap I have.  With that said, I am working on a tutorial of a braided headband made from leftover materials.  It is so simple to make and can be done in less than 30 minutes.  I made one yesterday while I was coloring my hair.  I don't recommend that method but with some luck, it all turned out fabulous.

There is a messenger bag waiting in the wings but it may have to wait until after Christmas.  My small local fabric store has some things I need to finish it on order and I am waiting patiently.  Now I need to get busy sewing Christmas gifts for my family and friends.  I have lunch kits to make for the girls' teachers.  They include two re-usable sandwich bags and a napkin all tied up with a bow.  Hey, if you want to get some for the teachers and co-workers in your life I'd be happy to make a few extra. 

The girls picked out flannel for a couple pairs of pj's.  Not to mention that I am itching to paint.  I started a mixed-media picture as a Christmas gift for Gigi last month.  It calls to me every time I go into my art room.  

0 comments: