Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Reduce Reuse Recycle Totes




This one wasn't my genius idea. I found it on another blog but I still want to share the outcome. It is such a great way to add some spice to your freebies.

Take one of your plain old totes that you get for free. I didn't have one on hand because I used to send mine to Goodwill, but not any longer. So, I asked my neighbor if she had one that she wouldn't care if I messed it up. I wasn't sure how this experiment would turn out.
You measure the width and height of your freebie tote. Turn your tote inside out (it will become the liner) and sew the new cover on the outside. My measurements were a bit fluid but after a nip and tuck here and a well placed pleat, it worked out.
I did return it to its rightful owner. Now I am making some for myself. I will post another one that I made from material that I found in Goodwill. By material, I mean a curtain I bought for $2 and cut apart.

These are so easy and adorable. Plus, we are really trying to be more environmentally aware so it feels good to make something useful out of something I might not keep around.

1 comments:

Kim said...

I have so many free totes if you need some for covering...I'm nice like that :) Seeing the Read With Me inside that tote just made me smile.....that is where you had me at hello!