Friday, April 3, 2009

Friendship

I have a friend. Well, I actually have a lot of great friends all over the United States and in various other countries, but the friend I am talking about trumps all other friends. We have been BFFs for 33 years (we met when we were 3 years old - you can do the math). It sounds strange to hear an adult say BFF but that is the way it is.

I grew up in rural MO and my BFF, Kristen, lived about a mile away. That is a 10 minute ride on a bike on a gravel road...that is, as long as Kristen didn't wreck her bike on the way to or from our houses. If she had stock in the Band-Aid company she would be a gazillionaire today.

Kristen and I went to the same elementary school, the same high school (go Tigers) and we were roommates in college. We were the maid of honor in each other's wedding... should I go on. She is always there for me and I am always there for her. She is the sister I never had. Her family is my family and my family is her family. I love her and she loves me.

You can imagine that when your only playmate from three years old, your BFF, your sister, and part of your heart is hurting that you hurt too. Her Dad, Herb, died this week from Pancreatic Cancer. As little girls, we would sit at Herb's feet and he would play his guitar and sing John Denver songs to us. Country roads take me home to the place I belong...

It has brought up a lot of memories of when my Mom died. Do you know who traveled across the United States to be there? You guessed it. My BFF was there to love me. It made a difference.

I have lost a member of my family this week and I am going to go visit my BFF.

0 comments: