Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What's for lunch?

yogurt, cheez-its, fortune cookies, and cherries


mac'n'cheese, peaches, pretzels, and pumpkin cookies


cottage cheese, cheez its, and pears






raviolis, banana, Z-bar



Ahhhh, the age old question "What do I pack my kids for lunch?" I started packing my kids lunch when Greta started kindergarten. Up until then Gigi always had the hot lunch at school and took her lunchbox on occasion. When Greta started school she didn't like the hot lunches and always got the alternative - which had very little nutritional value. I also volunteered for lunch duty and actually saw the lunches provided. I knew I could give my kids a healthier meal.











Now, Gigi picks one hot lunch a week from the school menu and takes her lunchbox on the other days. Greta almost always has a home packed lunch. I feel better about what they are eating and I try to make it interesting and easy.











At a friend's request, I kept track of what the girls had in a week. So, this is what the girls would normally get in their lunches but it has changed a bit. Both girls have braces and foods that I may have packed last month are off limits - such as carrots with ranch dressing or an apple. Salt eggs are favorite - salted boiled egg whites - as well as leftovers from dinner that are kept warm in the thermos.











On a different note, even though we reuse our sandwich bags whenever possible, the number of sandwich baggies that go in the trash makes me break out in a cold sweat. I started using reusable containers last year but my new goal for this year is to try to eliminate the useage of the ever mulitplying baggies. Would it be innapropriate to make a joke about rabbits multiplying? Anyhoo... ETSY has a ton of reusable sandwich bags for sale and they are super cute; however, I am one of those people who look at something and think "I can make that." So, I am in the process of sewing my own. I'll post them with a tutorial at a later date.











I hope this post inspires you to pack some crazy lunches. I'd love to hear about the inventive lunch items you send to school.

1 comments:

NOBODY said...

Awesome! Thank you. Feel free to do this again. :)