Thursday, August 26, 2010

What to say?


My friend told me about this blog. http://familyvolley.blogspot.com/2010/08/things-you-should-and-should-not-say-to.html It is about family stuff but one of the posts was about what to say to a military spouse when her soldier is deployed. That peeked my interest so I had to check it out. Wow, the author did a good job addressing the topic. I've been asked so many crazy questions. I must also say that I wanted to cry. It is always surprising to me how the sadness and loneliness of a deployment is so close in my heart. It doesn't take much to get those feelings going.


So, you may be wondering which one I agree with the most? I won't say which statement bothers me the most because I understand that people really just don't know what to say and they mean well. However, for me, the best suggestion was to invite a deployed spouse over for dinner. That was the toughest time for me. Even though I knew Gene wouldn't be walking in the door for dinner I still looked for him. Plus, kids don't enjoy a meal like a hungry husband coming home from work. We eat a lot of cereal during deployments. But, without a doubt, dinner was the absolute worst time of the day. That is when families connect and share. It was a reminder that I wouldn't be sharing a meal with my guy. Did I mention LONELY?


0 comments: