Thursday, December 13, 2012

Good Ideas, Procrastination, and Advent Cards






 
I blame Pinterest!  I am telling you, Pinterest has helped me fine tune my procrastination skills.  Each year the girls get one of those cute little store bought Advent Calendars.  You know the ones,  you pop open a door, pull out a piece of candy, and count down the days until Christmas.  I have a funny story!  One year we tampered with Gigi's and replaced her candy with raisins.  Good thing that kid has a sense of humor.  Gene and I rolled with laughter.  In fact, I am laughing now just remembering her face.  Back to the Advent Calendar... I couldn't find one this year that was Christian based.  I mean really!  It shouldn't be hard to find an Advent Calendar that focuses on Baby Jesus?!?!  Hello, people.
 
I decided to search Pinterest and make my own (this was several weeks ago).  I guess it's not fair to blame Pinterest because if I am honest I would tell you that I never even looked for one.  I always get distracted and find myself looking at other pins - especially the ones that are designed to help you stay focused and organized.  Oh, the irony.
 
 
I think at one point or another each member of my family reminded me that there was not an Advent Calendar to be found in our home.  I was also reminded that I have been forgetting to read the Nativity story out of the Bible in the evening.  The plan was to travel through story of the birth of Jesus Christ as Christmas approaches.  Hmmmm,  I'll catch up.
 
 
 
I read my friend's blog, It's all Good, today.  She talked about making Advent Calendar cards and sharing them.  In the blog she mentioned that there are still 12 days of Christmas left if you didn't start your calendar on the first of December.  Brilliant!  I decided to make my own advent cards for the girls.
 
 


I had a short amount of time before my oldest was due home from school so I got right to work.  I searched Pinterest for Nativity Bible verses, copied a few, and cut them into sloppy strips.  I taped them on a card and wrote a coupon on the back.  the cards and envelopes are similar to library cards.  Remember those?  If I had more time, organization, and supplies, I would have spruced up the cards.  As they are, the girls will be reminded daily of Baby Jesus, I will get at least two trips to Culvers, and we can enjoy our countdown.  I think the girls will love them.

0 comments: